2010 944 Cup Nationals

Time for a break. All summer long I've been working in the garage and not racing. Now's it's September and that means it's time for the 44Cup National Championships. Once again it's at the great track VIR just outside of Danville Virginia. This year, there's a change to the structure of the event. The weekend is a Pro Racing event, the SCCA Pro Racing World Challenge. If you watch any racing at all on the US telly, World Challenge - formally known as SpeedVision World Challenge - was one of the most exciting racing series around. It featured real production cars such as Porsche 911s, Corvettes, Vipers and the like in the GT class and Mazda, Acura and other small bore machines in the Touring Class. Cars that look and are pretty much close to what you can buy down at the car stores. The series, like most racing series over the last several years has lagged abit, but seem to be in the rise again with great car battles.



This year 944 Cup was invited to be part of the weekend to run as a support race. I was psyched to be part of the event. I always love to go to Nationals - I've done badly and also done very well - but it's great to be with all the top 944 drivers battling it out on the track. I've been preparing since spring, I got my car inspected and got a SCCA log book at the Glen event. I joined SCCA and applied for my Pro license. I was ready, all except for one minor detail:

You can't go racing if you don't have a race car that works.

Now my car works, but as we saw at the Glen, not really. The dyno told the tale after the Glen, a blistering 126 hp at the rear wheels. Bringing the Stealth machine to VIR was just taking a knife to a gun fight. Just wasn't going to do it. But a ray of (pink) sunshine is peaking over the horizon. Nick Reifer of N-Tech Racing was bringing his rental posse of pink 944's to Nationals.



A call to Nick revealed that 2 of the 3 cars were being held for some of the WC pros to race with us, but one was available. However, last years Nat's Champion Bill Comat had dibs on the ride. After some gentle baderging of Bill, he decided he needed to not divert his energies from supporting his son's bid for the Championship and passed. So after a signed contract and a few checks, I became an Arrive & Drive racer. Time to see how the other 10% live.

Comments

Popular Posts