Living In the Land of ...

... well since you're already there, now would be a good time to ....

We've all been there. Especially if you like to fix, fiddle, engineer and restore. You start a simple project, like fixing a bad heater fan, and the next thing you know, you have become a metallurgy expert and have built a small scale smelter in your back yard - yes dear, I promise I'll take it down once I'm done - to create the perfect blend of alloys to replicate the motor windings of the 40 year old fan.

In this case, now that I have pulled the old motor so I can replace it with the new built motor ...

Old motor up and out

With that empty tub staring at me, I think to myself. Now that motor is out, why don't I ....

And so it starts.

First up is fabbing a little plate to cover the hole in the firewall where the heater hoses and bits used to go. Since none of that stuff is in the car anymore, there was a nice big hole there. A couple of winters ago, I welded a sheet of steel on the inside of the firewall. But it was up under the dash behind the roll cage and I had to do all cramped and lying on my back, it wasn't a perfect seal. Later that year at the next race weekend my motor blew up and caught on fire. I was plenty glad that plate was there but it could be improved on. Now was the time.



That's the plate in the upper right. There's a padded notch where my fire suppression lines feed through. That will make the firewall nice and tight.

And since I'm there...

why don't I add some hi-tech heat reflecting foil to the firewall. I remember seeing it on Bill Comat's car and thinking that was great idea. Well, now's the time ...


Of course, that means detaching all the lines, cables, fiddley bits and cleaning everything.

And since I'm there ...

Let's replace that beat up old heat shielding on the right side frame rail with one from the parts car.
Of course it's pretty dirty and will look pretty crappy next to the new gold heat foil, so lets spend an 1/2 hour cleaning it up.

Okay that's installed. But now the frame rail and side of the engine compartment looks pretty crappy now.

And since I'm there ...


Might as well repaint the engine compartment. It will be only a couple more hours ...

Finally, the foil wrap of the firewall is done. Most of the engine compartment has been scrubbed, washed, degreased and paint bombed. Done right? Well..




since I'm there ...

Let's remove what's left of the emissions stuff in the upper right corner next to the brake booster. That will mean I also will need to cut the vent line going back to the tank and put a filter on it later. Can't get to it physically right now.

And look at that brake booster. All the paint's come off of it from brake fluid being spilled over the years. It could stand a little rustoleum paint on it .

And since I'm there ...

Comments

  1. Yep. Seems like the natural progression alright. But why not :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts