In the Garage

Since this is nominally titled 'the alpine garage', let's visit some garage modifications recently done. The racecar went off to Bodymotion in NJ for a general looking over before the start of the season. It's back and in the trailer for now. I'm just waiting for my new belts and other safety gear to show up and I'll be ready.

I've started working on the parts car, pulling bits off for sale or storage. Until the season is underway I'm going to leave it mobile, that is, keep the motor in the car. Once I pull the lump I'm committed to pulling it apart and hauling it away. I'm keeping my options open for a bit.

But meanwhile, what happened here?



Looks like a disaster befell the parts car. Looking skyward we spy this.



 Yikes! A giant hole in the ceiling


And now it's gone (and nicely framed in too)

Time to gain some altitude to see what's going on.


Observation confirmed, it's definitely a hole. So that brings to mind the question, why did the Siberian Huskies dig a hole in my garage ceiling? It had to be the dogs, they specialize in creating holes of all sizes, shapes and depths.


Ah, it seems the Sibes have located the nearest Harbor Freight and bought themselves a toy.



I see their plan now. They are going to store their stash of bones, small logs, and de-stuffed toy animals in the attic above the garage. Right above my nose! They're sneaky, little furry bastards.

Right now they're out down at the bottom of the hill, busy disemboweling a deer, or the neighbor's poodle or something. So I'm going to turn the tables on them and store MY stuff up there.

Let's start with a 944 motor. I can use the floor space in the garage, since there will be another 2.7L motor joining it shortly.





Mission accomplished, one 2.5L motor tucked away. Close the hatch and they'll never know ...

Comments

  1. Nice work! I had a similar arrangement in my old race garage. I put a simple ledge around the hole and then made a plywood and 2x4 cover that slipped in from above to minimize heat loss in the winter. The winch is an excellent addition!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's hard to see, but there is a hinged hatch that drops down and covers the hole. It's got fiberglass insulation covering it since the rest of the attic is insulated. I've been storing tires and the like up there for a year or so, but without the winch there was no way I could put a motor up there!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts