Delaware PCA DE @ NJMP

After the Summit Point club race - which I'll get back to shortly - I had to quickly fix up the car for the annual Delaware PCA region DE event, which is held at Thunderbolt the next weekend. This is our 4th year doing this, and for the past several years I've been the registrar. We only do one DE a year, but we try to make it one of the best for everybody.

First item to address was to replace the radiator fan that was given me so much problems. Pulling it out I was surprised to see that it wasn't a thrown balance weight, but that a whole fan blade had broken off.


Well, in my defense, it was pouring rain, wet, dark and gloomy at the race, and the fans black, so hard to see. I had my choice of fan assemblies from my pile of parts and bolted another one right in. A quick wash of the car outside, when it finally stopped raining for a bit, and it was off to the track.

Friday was our "open track" day where we run alternating 30 min sessions and in theory, get 4 hours of track time. I had a blast, running on my Toyo RA1's that look like Hoosiers now, with god knows how many heat cycle on them. On Saturday my on-track time came to an end during the 2nd session in the morning when I blew a hole in my headers. Not wanting to risk a burnt valve, I parked the car. After all, all I have to do is one more race where I finish better than 14th and I grab 2nd in the 944 Cup North Region championship. I finished out the weekend doing my registrar duties and the occasional instructing stints.

Back home I pulled the header and unwrapped the heat tape and found the damage was greater than I though.


The top area is the one I was able to see at the track. The bottom crack was invisible.



 Even worse, the crack went all the way around the pipe. This header is done. I'll keep it around and try my modest welding skills on it. If it survives I'll keep it as a backup. But for now, I went and ordered a new MSDS Header that was ceramic coated from Lindsey Racing.





Looking Sweet!

The car was running warm at the DE and using water somewhere, so I'll also take the opportunity to tear down the top end to see if I can find out what's up with that. Most of its already off the car and I'll finish up this weekend.

Comments

Popular Posts