Summit Point PCA race - part 2

So where were we? Ah yes, strapped into the car, rain pouring down and ready to start another race at Summit Point. The skies teased us with some lightening of the deluge, but no love for race 2. 10 miles away in Winchester it was dark and gloomy, but not raining. Looking at the radar, Summit Point seems to be stuck in a Groundhog Day loop, a giant rotating green splash that seems stuck on us. All totally irrelevant of course, 944 Cup racers are made of stern stuff, we race in the snow after all (February @ VIR). While I wasn't on pole, I was on the outside of pole but with a transparent windshield this time. A tradeoff I would glady do again.

Bob Page (blue 76) and Chris Derecola (yellow 24) at Nationals 2010


Bob Page in the blue #76 was lined up next to me on the inside on pole. Right behind me is Steve Randolph (#3). We're in about row 4 or 5 of the race group. We round turn 10, eyes straining for the green flag. Revs build and hearts are beating 180 bpm and then Green Flag!

Bob and I pedal neck and neck down the straightaway. I decide to stick with the outside lane and not do anything stupid since it was still pouring. I tuck behind another car and follow them in the braking zone. Now I'm usually a good latebraker. I'm even better in the rain since my car has ABS ... As I'm diving on the brakes, I'm watching some cars skid off in front of me into the gravel trap or run off road. I'm also thinking. Man, Bob's waiting awfully late to brake ... I bet he's going to not going to make the corner, I better do something about this.  I check up and go wide in the corner figuring he would go flying past the front of me. And here's come a flying splash of blue 944 on my right side. Unfortunately Bob didn't miss me, but nailed me pretty good in the wheel and front fender. Just like a banked pool shot he goes flying off at an angle and into the outside gravel trap.

Other than a slight deviation in my course, it didn't do a whole lot to me. I continued on at full tilt and into the class lead.

Bob Page's car at Nationals 2010

Now Bob is breathing down my neck in the championship. With his win in race 1, he's only 2 points behind. With him in the gravel, now's my time to make some points. With cars spinning off everywhere at the start I guess the corner workers were busy. I watch the black flag stations (I could see them this race!) as I go by but don't see any call to come in. A couple of laps later they close the pits as Bob was able to make it to pit lane but broke down and blocked it. He needed to be towed in to clear it.

Eventually Steve Randolph (#3) is parked on my bumper. This should be a fun race, we should be evenly matched in the rain. Entering the carousel (turn 6) my car just doesn't have any power. Normally, I downshift into 3rd gear at the bottom of the Chute (turn 5), accelerate on the short straight, a light left foot brake, turn in and back on the gas. This time nothing much happens. WTF? I glance at the Data System and it says I'm in 3rd gear. I don't believe it, it feels like I'm in 5th. I reshift and back into 3rd. Still no power. Steve just dives into the inside and motors on past.

The car feels slow. I'm keeping my foot to the floor through the rest of the carousel - normal proceedure for a 944 anyway - but not much drama. Rolling through turn 9, it's like my turbo spooled up and came on boost as the power came back online. The middle of turn 9 was not an auspicious location for this to happen and the rear stepped out on me. Some quick hands and we were back on course. With Steve disappearing in front of me of course.

Halfway down the straight, the power goes away again, then reappears halfway around turn 10. And so it goes the rest of the race, power, no power, power - holy shit not here! - no power ... I'm in 2nd but not destined to stay there long. Dave Gibson comes rolling up and after some token resistance by me, goes on by. Into 3rd now. Crap.

And now here come Robert Provost in his SP1 car filling my mirrors.  Here's a couple of laps from his viewpoint.


My car is at least consistent. Power, no power, power, no power. But as the race winds down the on power cycle is getting longer. I figure something got wet (duh!) and is finally drying out a bit. I manage to keep Robert behind me and bring the car home in 3rd. Another podium finish and some breathing room from Bob. With the finish I now need to just finish 14th or higher to get a lock on 2nd in the championship.

The turn 1 hit resulted in a dented fender, easily fixed at home with a mallet and some krylon paint, and a cut tire. It was time to get another set of wets anyway.

Tomorrow is another sprint and a 60 minute enduro, both non-point races. Still more challenges ahead, the weekend is definitely not over. However, it was time to head off for beer and the bar-b-que track dinner.


Comments

Popular Posts