Rust Be Gone

While the bimmer is off at the shop and I'm waiting for my engine rebuild kit, I'd thought I devote some attention to accessory bits, like the header.

Before the motor drop, header at bottom

As you can see it's solidly rusted and a nice color if you're a guardrail in a scenic national park. I can't afford to pop for one of the Ireland Engineering stainless steel headers, so let's see if we can resurrect this one.




Perusing the Eastwood catalog for restoration supplies I came across their Rust Dissolver product.

The product picture is a rusty header being cleaned. Reviews have generally been positive so I decided to give it a try.






A closer view of what we are working with.



The results after a night in a bucket in the garage. The garage isn't heated, so I'm working at the bottom end of the recommended temp range. It's more of a thin gel instead of a liquid at this point which since I don't have a large narrow and long tub to soak in is a plus. Just takes longer. And time is free.




Not too bad. This stuff really works. Mild smell, non-toxic, doesn't burn the hands. Good stuff.

A couple of nights later it's looking pretty good. The only physical labor is scrubbing it off in the tub. No power tools, no hand sanding. Better living through chemistry.



And the final result after several coats of high temp satin black paint. This should look good in the engine compartment when done.



Comments

Popular Posts