You say Spaghetti, I say Klippan

The bad taste of the Lime Rock weekend is still lingering so I left the 944 in the trailer for a future date and went back to work on the '02. One of the 'quirks' of my car was it came with the infamous Klippan seat belts aka Spaghetti belts. The design is kind of a set once and forget since it's such a pain in the ass to ever change them again. Since I'm the driver and my size if pretty much fixed, the lack of adjust-ability mainly affects any passengers. This usually led a to 5 min adjustment session or just the 'hell with it, just hold on!' So a set of retractable belts was in my future. But I did like the vintage elegance of the main clipping hoop and didn't want to loose that. I bought some new AutoLoc retractable 3 point belts from Amazon, removed the belt tongue and some other bits. Next disassembled my Klippan's and re-threaded the harness through it and riveted it all back together. And ta-da. Stylish, vintage, comfortable and safe.

1970's safety technology


Klippan receiver loop just behind the e-brake

New retractable belt cassette mounting in original anchor point
Shoulder belt mounted in original belt anchor point

And clipped to the receiver loop

And released, now tucked up and away on the B pillar instead
of flopping around the seat and floor.

Comments

Popular Posts