A nice surprise

After work I slipped down to the garage to work on the '02. I didn't feel like launching into a major activity like attaching the clutch slave or brake booster. But no worrry, there's still a thousand piddly little tasks to finish up.

I picked up a box from the attic with random parts, and there were the window wipers. Ok, a simple brainless task, let's put them on. One more thing off the checklist. But as I'm examining them, I notice specks of shiny color coming through the black. Hmmm... the original wiper arms for the early cars was chrome or stainless steel. It wasn't until the later car were they black. I wonder, if when they went for the turbo look, if somebody painted them?

Got my trusty can of carb cleaner and a rag and a few seconds of work showed me this.

hidden treasure

Yeah baby. I grabbed my can of acetone and a chemical mask and went to work. Here's the end result.



Awesome, they look great. That was totally unexpected.

Over the last weekend I made some good progess on some larger tasks.

The driveshaft was connected, so now the car can be pushed around. Very important as I'm still in race season and can't have my lift tied up.


Got the headers installed and connected to the exhaust. Added a E30 series heat shield between the plugs and header, a popular upgrade. Did plugs and wires and hung the coil.  Installed the radiator and started working on the water hoses.



Worked on running the wiring harness, and support pieces for the Weber throttle bits. Hooked up the fuel lines.



 Installed the H4's and custom brackets for the vintage Cibie driving lights.



POR15'd the brake booster in preparation. I had refinished it last year with Rustoleum enamel but it didn't hold up to the brake fluid. We'll see how the POR15 works out.



Lastly, but not least. Here's some trick upgrade parts that are soon to go in.



An new upgraded starter for a 5 series BMW. This is a bolt in upgrade. Just below that is a custom made stainless steel throttle rod fitted with heim joints. This will remove any slop in the stock throttle rod and looks trick in the process. Just below that is a flexible clutch slave fluid line. No great performance advantage, but working with the stock non-flexible line is a huge PITA. This is a major improvement.

So that's where I am so far. Being that I have no fixed date to finish, the project is right on track.

Comments

Popular Posts