Filling the hole

Lots of good work this weekend. I even got to buy another tool for the garage, that's always worthwhile.

When we last left off, I was putting lipstick on the pig, aka tarting up my front struts. I'm not touching the internals, that's for the winter, but I was making them pretty for the fall fashion season. The next thing was to clean up and get the subframe ready so I can shove the Porsche turbo motor back into the car. (just kidding)

I'm sure you all think restoring old cars is all cocktail parties and idle chatter while servants in white overalls hand me tools on an engraved platter - "The #3 Phillips, James" - the reality is hanging out in the driveway, scrubbing nooks and crannies with a toothbrush and mineral spirits while the neighbors hoot from their deck: How's that old junker going Cris? It ever going to run again? ha ha...


The reality

A couple of nights in the garage working with some POR-15 and the front subframe is looking pretty good.


After some cleanup, but still pretty tired looking
Almost ready to go

While working on this bit I fought a constant battle against scope creep. Well since you're here, why don't we just do the idler bushing .... And those control arm bushings, I bet they could come off in 5 mins, 10 mins top... Get thee behind me!

The only thing stopping me is the sure knowledge that yeah, they could come off in 5 mins, but then I have to order the parts, wait, and then install then, and since that's off, might as well rehab the control arm, and next thing you know Bob's your uncle!    I mean, the next thing it's December and the car still is in pieces. So I controlled my desires. It's really going to just be a temp rehabbing ... this time. (shhhh... I did re-plate all the sway bar hardware - I couldn't help myself)

Meanwhile, I've been working in the engine compartment, my goal is by the weekend, for it to be filled with mechanical bits.

Engine compartment spiffing up in progress

I installed the new stock firewall pad that's been sitting in my office for the last several months. Next spent time tediously sanding all the brake lines to get rid of the paint overspray. I also touched up all the surfaces where the paint shop guys missed.

Ok, with the destination all prep'd and ready to go, the subframe as rehabbed as it was going to get in this go-round, now's the time. Time to head to Harbor Freight and buy another tool.

1500 lb ATV/Motorcycle (for Harleys) lift

I've done my fair share of jury-rigged engine hoisting assemblies, consisting of collections of mismatched lumber, bungie cords and multiple jacks. And since I have a nicely detailed engine and tranny that will be bolted together to the subframe creating a large amount of mass that wants nothing better than to demonstrate the  non-theoretical application of the law of gravity, I decided it was time to go pro. And considering that any helpers I had will have already gotten into the beer fridge by the time I would be ready ... some mechanical help will be needed. I bought an ATV lift - with a 20% off coupon of course - from the local Harbor Freight.

First the motor needed some final prep. I pulled the upper timing cover and bled the timing belt tensioner piston and re-buttoned it back up. Next the motor was placed into the subframe and bolted up to the motor mounts. With the clutch reattached we were ready for the transmission.

Subframe, motor and clutch in position


Shinny transmission docked



Struts added to make the whole thing unwieldy to handle

The shuttle is approaching the mother-ship

slowly, slowly ....

Ta-da! Shuttle is docked.

Back home again, it's been a while ... exactly 7 months ago it was removed.

Just to prove it's not photo-shopped ...

Still a large amount of work to go, but this is a significant milestone. I'm going to go clean up and have a beer. No make that several beers...

Comments

Popular Posts