Xmas comes early for the bimmer

NOS (New Old Stock) from the 70's
I decided to give my Bimmer an early Christmas present. Now that's it's running and I'm driving it around the area while still finishing up stuff, I'd really like to have some side mirrors on it. That would make backing up down the long driveway and into my garage a bit less nerve racking.

Last year I scored a set of NOS Black green dot Talbot mirrors on Ebay Germany and they've been calling to me from the shelf ever since.But I was steadfast and wanted to wait until the car was painted and almost done.


Well, that time is now.

Other than being nervous drilling into my freshly painted hood, the install went fairly easy. I've decided I want to go old school and mount them on the hood. This was an option on the earlier 1600's and 2002's and how some of the old timey racers also mounted them.

First I masked my hood area with painters tape, then spent several minutes with the mirrors taped to the hood, checking the sightlines.



Next, following the old carpenter's maxim: Measure twice, cut one. I measured my drill holes - more like 4 times, not twice, and drilled my starter pilot hole, followed by the main hole.

Drilling in progress

Drilling done.
Mounted the two piece bracket ...



Top bracket


bottom bracket on the inside of the hood

and finally slide the mirror onto the bracket.

Passenger side

Driver's side mounted.



And the view from the cockpit





Happy holidays Bimmer!

Comments

Popular Posts