Cool tool of the day: lubricheck

I just got a cool gadget into the garage. It's a Lubricheck, engine oil tester. While you can buy an oil tester like the NASCAR guys use, but they're up around $600-800, not alpine garage money territory. The Lubricheck guys have been developing this for the last couple of years as a Kickstarter project trying to develop one below $50. Well they finally delivered and I got mine in the mail the other day.



It works by measuring the dielectric and impedance of the oil sample on the sensor in the middle of the device and then shows a rating of the oil from 1 to 10, where 1-7 is good, 8-9 fair, and 10 means the oil time is done. I can use this to measure my oil state before and after every race weekend and know how my oil and also my motor is doing.

It's easy to use, just turn it on, wait for it to calibrate, and then add a droplet to cover the sensor area.



Press the test button and wait for the result.


In this case it's measuring the oil in my BMW 2002, and reported back 8 or fair. Which is probably a good assessment of the quality as it's the break-in oil still in the motor and should be changed shortly.

All in all, it looks like an interesting tool to add to the garage. For more info, check out their website at

www.lubricheck.com

Comments

Popular Posts