Visiblity mod

As part of the '02 restoration, I replaced the US spec frog eyes front turn signals with Euro turn signals. Not only do they look way cooler, the car is an Euro model so it's only returning back to stock.

Flat European turn signals
Bulbous US spec lights

One advantage - probably the only - is the US spec turn signals have an extra bulb that lights up - aka parking lights. The Euro ones only have a single bulb, so at night there's only light when the turn signal is activated.

Somebody on the BMW2002FAQ forum came up with a nice mod to add the missing functionality. Start off with a GM right angle license plate socket (Dorman #85868) that I picked up at the local AutoZone.

I told the car the GM stands for Generalisimo Motors ...

With a step drill, I drilled an 11/16 hole and mounted the socket to the light bracket.





Since the lights are grounded to the body, I drilled a small hole and mounted the ground lead from the socket with a sheet metal screw.





** Cool Tool Alert ***

While I was in the middle of this mod, I got my Klein Journeyman Crimping Pliers. For years I been using those cheap yellow stamped steel electrical connector crimpers that everybody has. I've never been real happy with their use. It's a crappy tool. While doing the front fog light install, I added a couple of relays and did a fair amount of electrical wiring. In the middle of it I said enough! I'm done with crappy crimps and off to Amazon.com. Well it's finally here, and it's great tool. Expensive ($30) but worth it. Easy, and ergonomic to use and does solid crimps, one after another. Recommended.

Cheap shitty crimping tool


Klien Crimping Pliers - awesome!

And now back to our regularly scheduled blathering ....

Here's the final result:




Comments

  1. Ok, good sales job. I just bought Klein Journeyman Crimping Pliers from Amazon also. It really is about time, as I have used a proper wire stripper for years like the Klein Tools 11063 8-22 AWG Katapult Wire Stripper. Don't search Amazon for that unless you want to be parted with $25 (but they are excellent!).

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts