Trailer Updates

My winter time project - working on the trailer - has bled over into the spring, and now into summer. No problem since it was contracted to the lowest bidder (me) and while I do good work, I can't guarantee timely delivery.

So one of the things I always lusted for, was a nice backup camera system for the trailer. Now after over a million miles of driving tractor trailer, school buses, flatbeds, furniture vans and generally anything with 2 or more wheels and a motor, I don't really need one. I can backup like a pro and stuff my trailer anywhere, usually on the first try. But while I don't 'need' it, I did 'want' it. It appealed to my cool geek brain.

I scored a two camera system off ebay from Hong Kong. Only took a week to show up. This was a pretty nice package. Two color cameras with IR, a 4 inch monitor for the cab and a quick disconnect system between the truck and the trailer.

I put the license plate cam on, duh! the license plate of the F250. So I can do those trailer hookups with precision and not the truck/trailer 2 step dance everybody does ... Back up to where you think the trailer is; hop out and check. Nope, another 2 feet. Hop back in the truck, reverse a couple of feet, hop back out, opps too much, etc, etc.
And with the IR lights, I can do in the dark. Wahoo!


Rear trailer cam
With the rear trailer cam I can now see that State Trooper sneaking in my blind spot behind me and be a good boy.


Quick disconnects allow clean and easy trailer hookups

Here's the view from rear camera in the truck.




And while the cams are useful going to and from the track, the next upgrade is for when things don't go so well while at the track.

I've had an old Harbor Freight winch for many years in the trailer. It's been used on occasions but isn't a really a great tool, pretty much a cheap piece of crap, but it was cheap and it has helped in the past. But I wanted something better for the newly upscale trailer.

And recently HF has upgraded their winch line to the Badland winches which have been getting some good reviews from the 4x4 and Jeep crowds. With a sale and a 20% coupon I got a great deal on a 6000 lb winch. And also picked up a cool accessory for it, a wireless remote control. Now I can sit in the (dead) car and winch away while texting and listening to Pandora on my smartphone. Isn't technology wonderful?




Let's put this puppy in.

Well as you can see, this is big (and heavy) and I really didn't want it permanently in the way. So this is my solution. Let's mount it to a pintle (tow) hook so it can be installed when needed.

First order of business is to install a receiver into the trailer floor to accept the pintle.



And since it's going to be doing some work, let's weld the receiver to the trailer frame. No fair criticizing my welds here, as it was done in the dark, while laying on my back under the trailer.

The bottom of the winch gests bolted to some sheet steel and the pintle to that.



And in place and ready for action. Remote control mounted on top with velcro and ready to be grabbed. Wiring is a quick disconnect back to my battery box.



When not working, it's tucked nice and neat in the rear behind my wheel boxes out of the way.



And up front, a rubber cap seals the empty receiver for a low profile.

stealth install

Comments

Popular Posts