Valentine Hard Mount Install

After opening my WRX's door on a hot summer day and finding (again) my Valentine 1 dangling as the suction cups had failed, it was time to put on my engineering hat. And this is what I came up with.

After thinking about it, I decided to mount it above my mirror - higher is better with radar detectors - in the area in between my visors. There's a small plastic adjustable visor that covers that area. I can use the mounting points for that.

small visor area after removal of said visor


Take one V1 mount, remove the suction cups. Make a template, first with cardboard, then with aluminum, to attach to the headliner area.


Bend, trim, paint and assemble, bolting the mount to the aluminum. Create a locating pin using a screw and locking nut.



Mount in place. The power has been previously done

The final install. Rock solid and not going anywhere.

A simple elegant solution. It took about an hour in the shop and used existing materials so didn't cost anything.

Comments

Popular Posts