Bimmer Tranny's done

Transmission drain plug with center magnet

So that's where my 2nd gear synchro's have all gone. Ground to little fine metallic bits to be captured by the magnet center of the drain plug. This seems like a case of Deja-vu all over again.

Now where have I seen that before? ....  Oh yeah,

944 motor after the Glen in 2011

This was the motor drain plug after the #2 rod bearing let go in my 944 race motor last year. I hope it's not a car virus. Car viruses are not supposed to jump species, like from a Porsche to a BMW. Well to just make sure, I think I'll sacrifice a beer or two to appease the car gods.


Meanwhile, you have seen the condition of the tranny as it was pulled before.

It's that greasy lump hanging on the back of the motor

Somewhat cleaned up but still full of rusty bits. The spongy tranny mount is hiding in the  right bottom.



Since then, it's been considerably cleaned up, repainted and refreshed with a new quart of Redline MTL. The original tranny mount was soft and soggy and replaced by a new Ireland Engineering urethane one. When reassembling everything I discovered that a pair of bushings that center the shifter had been missing. They're now on order and when installed it should take out a lot of slop in the shifting.







Looking good. Onto the motor.

Comments

  1. Enjoy reading your blog.

    What did you do about the metal bits in the trans?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Basically nothing, other that a flush of the fluid. I know what they are from, the 2nd gear synchros. I may go to a 5 gear tranny in the future, so I don't want to spend the money to rebuild the box. At this point I will just live with them, using a double clutch to get into gear.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts