Vintage Parts

I have to give BMW credit where it's due. While I think they have lost their way with their current cars, trying to be everything to everybody, one thing they have done well is support for their older aka vintage models like the 2002.  I heard that over 90% of the parts for the '02's are still available from them through their BMW Mobile Tradition services. They built a "new" 1973 2002 tii from mostly off the shelf parts just a few years back. Pretty impressive.

Here's a great example. Since I'm having the engine compartment repainted, I want it to look nice. The firewall has a foam pad for insulating the passenger compartment from heat and noise. My pad, while still intact, is 40 years old, and looks it. Dirty, greasy and getting close to that state when the foam will start crumbling. But with a couple of clicks of the mouse, and a shout-out to my main sponsor MasterCard, I have a brand new, still in the bag, firewall pad. How cool is that?

OEM baby, all the way



I've also been stashing some other little goodies for down the road.

Like a pair of original, NOS (New Old Stock) Talbot Green-dot black mirrors. I scored these on Ebay Germany.

Not BMW stock, but an 70's high end upgrade.




And a set of NOS CIBIE driving lights. I'm undecided on whether or not to make the lens yellow. Time will tell.

These with my H4's should throw down some serious light.


Comments

Popular Posts