As Long as We're Here (part 2)


Remember that whole thing about Living in the Land of Well, since we're here ...., and another essay on Scope Creep, all I can say it's way of life.

You would think now that I have my Bimmer back from the paint shop I'd jump right into re-assembling it, but nooooo... That's not the Alpine Garage way.

One minute I'm standing there admiring the shiny exterior and the next, frowning over the carpets. Carpets that only a few months ago seemed perfectly adequate, now looked dirty and worn. Well's there nothing to do but to pull the seats and pull out the carpet. A good washing in the home washer (don't tell Maggie) resulted in a clean, but still stained and faded carpet set.

I sprang into action and ordered a new set from Esty, one of the BMW2002FAQ.com regulars, choosing a nice blue, gray blend to replace the brownish salt & pepper.



And since we're here  .... seats and carpets removed ... now would be great time to put in sound acoustical sound deadening material. Sixties era cars aren't known for their high NVH values and the car is pretty noisy at speed. That is part of its charm of course, but it would be nice to be able to not shout at a passenger or listen to my ipod occasionally.

I cleaned up the tub, removing what's left of the carpet foam and began apply the FatMat RattleTrap barriers that I got off Ebay. This is basically a tar base with a aluminum backing. By applying it to most of the  interior surfaces it should really help the sound quality.


All that brown stuff isn't rust, but carpet glue.


It's applied by cutting pieces from the roll, peeling off the paper backing and then using a wooden roller to bond it to the surface. Tedious but satisfying work.

Tomorrow is the Hershey Swap meet, the largest Porsche swap meet in the US if not the world. I'll be up there early looking to score some turbo fenders and front panels so I can do a turbo nose conversion on my racecar. So far it looks like it might not rain .... so I'm going to retire for the evening and watch Formula One with a nice Yuengling Black & Tan to start.

Comments

Popular Posts