2 steps forward, 1.5 steps back - May

Once I had the block stripped, the work was pretty straight forward. Since the motor was on a stand I took the opportunity to do some work which is a pain to do while in the car. I replaced the rod bearings for example. A lot of the little pieces like oil pressure senders, water temp sensors, etc came from the blown motor since they had limited miles on them and weren't compromised by the explosion.

Put my nice yellow water pump from the 2.7 and did the belts and rollers.

I had most of the bits on, but for some unknown reason, decided to spin the water pump. Hmmmn, seems to be stuck. A bit of puzzling, scratching of head, prayers to the engine gods ensued, but all proved futile.

For those who don't know, the water pump is practially the 1st thing attached to a block. So, to replace it, the entire front of the motor needs to come off. All those newly adjusted belts and rollers, the tensioners, all of it. Arghh!

But better now than in the car. So it all came off and it turns out the 2.7L water pump fits, but the impeller, the little round thingie that spins the water thru the system, is actually a bit bigger than the 2.5 pump and hangs up. A new one was $350, almost the cost of the whole motor. Cha-Ching!

Eveything off the front, new water pump on - it spins! - everything back on, rollers and belts. timing belt adjusted and just about ready to go into the car. Lets hang the power steering pump - yes I'm a wuss, and still have my PS on the racecar.



Rummage through the boxes, here's the pump, here's the bolts, ok off to the motor .... and wait. Hey guys, where's the bracket for the pump? It's supposed to be on the right side of the motor and it's nowhere in sight. Oh crap, this is a motor that's set up for a manual rack. Hey Joel! How come you didn't notice that?

Me, I have an excuse - of course I have an excuse, I'm a racer, it's part of the job description. While I'm pretty good at building/rebuilding my car, this is the only 944 I've worked on, so my knowlegebase is limited to 1989 944 2.7 NA with 5 speed and were originally red. Show me a 2.5L motor, there are enough similarities that I can say, yup that piece looks familiar, but more importantly I couldn't tell you what is not stock, or even missing. Just don't know.

But the important thing here, in keeping with the title of the post, it's another large setback. The power steering mount is actually the nose piece of the lower balance shaft cover. And to replace it, yup, you guess it, everythihng on the front of the motor must come off again.

Luckily I was able to salvage the one off the blown 2.7 motor. And several hours later, I was back to my original starting point, ready (I hope) to bolt it into the car.



Just for grins and giggles, here's the balance shaft from the blown motor. Just like a politician, just a little bent.

Comments

Popular Posts