Glen PCA race - May/June

The deadline for the cancellation of my registration was come and gone. So now I was committed - or as my wife say, I should be, but I digress. I was going to make the race or else. After working all day I'd make it down to the garage around 7pm and work until 11:30 or midnight. The clock was ticking with under a week and many tasks to go. Finally the car was buttoned up and the motor fired on the first crank. Success! Now it's off to my local shop as the front end was off the car, so it needs to be aligned - something I haven't learned to do yet. Plus after all the work that was done under stress, it's nice to have a set of professional eyes to check everything out.

So alignment, and a general look-over. I delivered it to the shop on Monday. Should be plenty of time to leave early Thursday morning right?

Of course not, this is racing and nothing ever goes smoothly. A few last minute panics but finally the car was ready, but not until Thursday at noon. So much for the easy 10 am start and the nice relaxing drive through the New York and Pennsylvania mountains. Registration closes at the Glen at 5pm exactly and if you don't get registered, they won't let you in. Period.  We finally got off around 1pm and headed North. Zipping along Rt 322 outside of Harrisburg and the famous Mr. Murphy shows up: Trailer Flat! Luckily I could be on a NASCAR pit crew and had that bad boy off and a new one mounted and was back on the road in under 15 mins. At exactly 5:05 I pulled up to the - now closed - registration bldg at the Glen. Arghh, thanks Mr. Murphy. So now instead of dropping the trailer, unloading the car, getting my credentials, going thru tech, and kicking back drinking some beer, it's all going to be done in a rush tomorrow morning, as we're the first group on track. Well, maybe I could work on that drinking beer part now...

Morning comes and the tasks are swiftly dispatched. All too soon I'm finally sitting in the car on the false grid, ready to go out. The weekend is about to begin. I'm excited, it's great to be back in a race car again.

And that was the high point of the weekend, so lets end on that note.

Comments

Popular Posts