Can't a girl get some privacy?

So I'm under the parts car, unbolting this, unscrewing that, in preparation for dropping the motor. Since this isn't a repair, but a removal I'm just cutting the old a/c and power steering belts to get them out of the way. So I have a wrench on a bound up bolt on the power steering assembly and I shift my position towards over to the left side, backing up against the driver's side tire to get some leverage. I can see the A/C belt dangling in my peripheral vision as I'm applying pressure on the wrench.

Loose belts or something more sinister?

All of a sudden, the A/C belt starts wiggling. WTF? I'm distracted, concentrating on my bolt removal job, don't want to smash my knuckles when it lets go. Next I hear "hissssssssss......ssssssss". What? I turn my head and 6 inches away, staring right at me is a 10 foot long black pit viper of death! Holy shit! I jerk back, smacking my head of course and scramble from underneath the car.

After a few seconds I reconsider my original impressions. It might not be a black viper of death, or even 10 feet long. But it definitely is a snake and not an a/c belt.

In theory, I'm a fan of snakes. They eat lots of bugs, and small varmints and provide amusement for my huskies in the yard. That said, I don't know any snakes on a first name basis. So I went to the kitchen for my bar-q-que grill tongs and removed Ms. Snake from where she was coiled up in the brake rotor. It wasn't a happy removal, she questioned my ancestry and my mechanic skills, but I persevered. I released her in the driveway and pointed her toward the bushes where I'm sure she will be lurking in the future.

Afterwards I realized why she was so upset. Rude person that I am, I had barged into her dressing room. She was changing into her new summer clothes. My bad.

Comments

Popular Posts