Mosport Bound ?

Since I haven't been attacked by the pit viper of death yet, let's update the recent garage activities. Following the Watkins Glen debacle, the motor was pulled, disassembled and sent out to the machines shop. Since the crank took a hit when the #2 rod bearing failed, I sent another crank to have that one cross-drilled. Otherwise I would have to have the old one turned and move to oversize bearings. Luckily the precious valves were only lightly zinged and the shop was able to straighten them. The plan is to get the parts back and rebuild the motor again.

Meanwhile, to keep the moss from growing in the garage, I embarked on a plan to turn dross into gold, ie spare parts car motor into the race car. Some of the trials and tribulations have been discussed in recent posts. By working nights after the day job, and all weekend I was closing in. My goal was to be ready by Thursday, so I could do a track day with Schattenbaum at NJMP on Friday. I wasn't going to tow 11+ hours to the frozen north with an untested car and motor.

A mild rebuild was done on the bottom end. Nothing was done to the head or camtower. Belts were fine and didn't need adjusting. New rod bearings were inserted. About 10 lbs of crud, mud and grease were removed. The balance shaft plugs got gooped up since they were leaking badly and I didn't have time to redo the seals. If it looked like it might leak, it got gooped. All the rest of the good parts from my race motor were installed: clutch and bell housing, exhaust headers, intake, a/c delete kit, alternator, AFM, vacuum lines, fuel rail, injectors, ignition wires, distributor cap, water hoses, etc.




The week was filled with challenges: a clutch pilot bearing that needed replacement on Tuesday - Fairwinds Porsche was able to get delivery from the distributor by lunchtime and the motor was done and ready to insert at the end of Tuesday evening.






Wed evening, the race car was rolled into the garage - it helps to have a garage at the bottom of a steep driveway: Pull it out of the trailer and launch it down the hill. The cross-member was dropped, and the motor lifted into the engine cavity.

Those who work on 944's know that the tricky part is the mating of the torque tube (drivetrain) with the motor. If you live an exemplary life; kind to kids and small animals, turn off your cell phone in the movies, etc, this will take about 10-15 minutes. On the other hand, if you're like me, this step was still in progress 2 hours later.

The pit awaits ...

Up with the lift, down with lift, up with the engine crane, down with the crane, up on the load leveler, down with the load leveler. Under the car and pushing with my feet while pulling down on something. All for naught.






 Finally around midnight, the gods took pity on me and it slid in part way. Far enough, that I could start the 4 bolts and draw it in. Battered, bloody and tired, I sprawled underneath the car, but it was in. Time to quit for the night. I took one last look around and saw ... my clutch slave cylinder. Somehow it didn't look right. A closer look and, oh no, all that banging and thrashing had broken it. It must have gotten caught in one of the pushes and shoves. I was doomed, but too tired to think about it. Only one day left to finish, otherwise Mosport was a no go. I went to bed.

Comments

Popular Posts