Glen 2011

So, the Glen weekend is over and I had a coach. What did I learn?

Well, I learned that 1) as a driver, I don't suck   2) as an engine builder, the jury is still out.

After an uneventful tow to Watkins Glen, I showed up at the track bright and early Thursday morning, got registered and teched, and met Dave Scott of Racecoach.net. Dave would be coaching me and Tyler Comat, another 944 Cup driver. Dave would be riding in car with Tyler and I on Thursday in the Metro NY Drivers Education, and then do data analysis on Friday when the race weekend starts.

Tyler Comat (left) and Dave Scott

As a old guy I know I won't be fast right out of the gate, I need to sneak up on my speed. Plus I haven't been to the Glen since last year, so I left my 14 heat cycle Hoosiers on the car, planning to swap them out for good rubber the next session. Dave was charitable on my driving: "I can tell you were just knocking off the rust" ...  but he had some good observations and a plan for the next session.

The plan was based around two action points: a) smooth the transitions from brake to throttle and vice versa; less porpoising of the car and more a gentle squatting and having it take a set - not that my car is pogo'ing up & down like a lowrider, we're talking refinements here.   b) adjusting the attitude of the car entering turns by a few degrees and trail braking to the apex. I already trail brake on some corners of some tracks, but not really much at the Glen. Starting with session 2 that was going to change.

The pedal transitions I picked up fairly quickly, as I was already smooth, and once I had my attention directed to it I was able to make changes. Now the trail braking part was a bit challenging. I had no problems jumping right in and trying but it totally screwed up my timing for the corners, usually resulting in arriving early. Which stands to reason, since I'm carrying more braking into the corner, I need to brake later than I normally would. Occasionally I got it right, and Dave seemed happy with the improvement in the car's altitude in the corners.

Since this was a Drivers Education day, I was running in the Black run group where the region dumped all the club racers. So it was plenty busy with tons of 911 Cup cars blowing by me everywhere. So with lots of traffic, Dave yammering in my headset, trying new techniques, trying to critically analyze my driving and, oh yeah, manage the task of driving a race car at 100 mph around a track with blue armco just off the track surface, it was a busy time in the car. As Keith Code would put it, I was spending my full budget of $1 worth of my attention.

Coming into the Toe of the Boot (turn 7), in the back of my mind I could hear an unusual noise in the car. At the same time I had 3 very fast Cup cars on my tail and I was busy letting them by as I pushed off the apex. They put the hammer down and blew past me. They were LOUD! and the last car was really loud. I remember thinking that car definitely has an off note on his exhaust. Dave asks me "you hear that rattling?" and as he does, I realize it's not the cup car but me! I vary the throttle and the noise varies, just then Dave shouts "oil pressure" I scan my gauges and see my giant ! light all lit up and my oil pressure is zero. I kill the motor and steer to the side of the track next to the armco.

It's quiet in the country, just crickets and the occasional 911 GT3 Cup car passing by.

Finally the tow truck arrives. My tow hook is attached to my lightened bumper that had the heavy shock mounts removed and replace with some lightweight steel tubing. The bumper is solid in the horizontal plane, but the mounts are a little smaller than the original so there is some play in the vertical. The tow truck guys are concerned that my bumper is going to come flying off when they pull. I reassure them but they don't look convinced. The tow strap tightens as it loads up, everybody is staring intently at my bumper when suddenly the strap goes flying! Everybody ducks. But its not my bumper, it was the part attached to the tow truck. The guys forgot to tie off the tow truck...  After some sheepish grins, they reattach the strap and tow me back to the paddock where my weekend was done before it got started.

944 Cup paddock at the Glen

Comments

  1. Ugh. I presume the engine diagnosis will make it's way here soon enough. Tough break, but "That's Racing!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ouch! Great story and writing like always: however we are well over due for a few with better endings.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts