944 Racecar - 2007 National @ Mid Ohio

The web server holding my earliest postings into an uncaring universe quietly expired a while ago. Rather than replacing it, I'm posting the content so it will live on forever in the cloud, polluting my little corner of it. Enjoy.


2007 944 Cup Nationals @ Mid Ohio


Well this year, the NASA Nationals at Mid Ohio went a little bit better than last year. No wrecks, no car on fire. I came in 2nd and 3rd in the qualifying races, and finished 2nd in the final Championship race. The only work I did on my car was check tire pressures and add gas. Couldn't ask for a more perfect week.




The final race was a fierce battle to the end. Joe Hrymack finally peeled me off his bumper about halfway through the race by stuffing a slower 944 turbo between me and him at a inopportune time for me, just before Thunder Alley. I had to sit behind the turbo all the way until the front straight until I could pass him. Meanwhile Jersey Joe was heading off into the distance. Shortly after that, the 2nd place car of Evan Brumme showed up, #17 above, and I had to protect from him. The #80 car soon showed up to contest 3rd and me also and the rest of the race was spent battling among us all. You could have thrown a blanket over all 3 of us at the finish, but I managed to hold on to 2nd.

Here's some in-car video of the race shot by Evan who spent most of the race harrassing me. It's in 2 parts    Race Video Part I              Race Video Part 2

This just in - Here's a professional video of the race with announcers, in-car and stationary cameras. Very cool!                  SpeedCast Production of the 944 Cup Race




Here I am, tucked under the rear bumper of the eventual champion, Joe Hrymack, #808, in his Rothmans 944. I find out later, the public address announcers keep calling my car, the "Darth Vader" car all weekend, due to its flat black paint scheme I suppose.

Some Random photos from that weekend.

On the Grid - Me (88), Evan Brum (17) and Joe Hyrmack (808)


Impound after the Championship Race - with Evan, Joe and Dave Derecola

The spoils - a hat and a champagne bottle :)

1st and 2nd place together



On top of the Keyhole





Thanks to my wife and crew chief Maggie.

Comments

Popular Posts