944 Racecar - The Beginning - August 2005

The web server holding my earliest postings into an uncaring universe quietly expired a while ago. Rather than replacing it, I'm posting the content so it will live on forever in the cloud, polluting my little corner of it. Enjoy.


1989 944 Normally Aspirated



I bought this 1989 944 n/a from my friend Joel Wahlsten. Joel was too busy defending "our way of life"* to go racing, so he sold it to me. Though I bought it several months ago it actually only been in my possession for a scant 12 hours several weeks ago. So the pictorial history is a bit spotty. So here is a record of it's journey from a PCA Club Race car to a .....PCA club race car?

* drinking beer and going racing



Late August 2005

As bought - ac couple of pictures when I actually had the car.


Before Joel ripped out the funky cage

What it looks like now (Oct 2014) 9 years later



Doesn't look too bad does it? When it was a PCA race car it had a cage. Joel wanted to run in the 944 cup series, but the cage wouldn't meet current NASA or SCCA technical regulations. So he ripped out the cage.

Since I want go 944 cup (and PCA) racing with it, the car needs to go get a cage. Here's some in-progress shots of the cage building.


late September 2005

Shot of the back X

Rear of X tied to rear of car


Rear of X showing the boxed in tie point



Cross bar, will be behind dash panel. Feet welded to plates and sills. Original design was to run the cross bar above the steering column, but with the 1985.5+ cars, there was no room with the integrated instrument cluster. Windshield was removed to facilitate welding of the top head bar. Hopefully it will be replaced.


Top / Head cross bar


View of the middle from the top. Note the nice big plates welded for the bottom tie-in points and the gussets on the corners.



Side shot of the rear X. Note the rear cross bar still allows me access to the spare tire area. Since I have to ballast the car another 200+ lbs to run PCA races vs the 944 cup series, I can put 45 lbs of spare tire back there legally.

Late September 2005

Waiting for the cage guy (Scott at Frederick Motorsports) to be done. Summit Point PCA race is coming soon, and that will be the car's coming out party.
More pics as I get em.

Comments

Popular Posts