944 Racecar - Winter Update 2005

The web server holding my earliest postings into an uncaring universe quietly expired a while ago. Rather than replacing it, I'm posting the content so it will live on forever in the cloud, polluting my little corner of it. Enjoy.


Winter 2005 - Off Season Updates

Where were we? Oh yeah, we're trapped in the garage in a never ending series of racecar tasks. Hey it beats tackling the Honey-Do list!



Here's the left engine side discharge nozzle poking up over the brake fluid resevoir.



Rear discharge nozzle this is attached to the roll cage pointing back over the gas tank and rear of the car. The Ty-Wraps were replaced with hose clamps.


Another view of the rear discharge nozzle, this time taken from the rear.



Remember what I said about tasks spawing other tasks, spawing other tasks ....? Since I put in a switch on the control panel, lets mount the cool suit cooler and wire it up. I doubt that I'll need it for the next race - February at VIR, brrrr! - but lets get it out of the way. It'll earn it's keep at Summit in July.


Everything starting to look nice and tidy now. Notice the tub is looking good, gotta love Rustoleum bright red!



I mounted the Datapak G2 datalogger in the console area. That way it's level (needed for the internal accelerometers), close and easily accessible, but out of my immediate reach when seated and belted in. I fab'd a little panel to cover the missing ashtray section and mounted my video camera remote control where I can reach it.


The Datapak G2 comes with a display that gives me laps times/diffs and shift lights. Where to mount it took a couple of tries and some head-scratching, but eventually I fabricated a mounting panel that attached to the front of the wiper/turn signal switch assembly. Its in my line-of-sight, but I can still see my other instruments. And I can still remove the main instrument cluster if needed without having to disassemble the steering console.



Here's the G2 with some data displayed. The car's sitting in my enclosed garage but is able to pick up 5 GPS satelites - that's the number 5 at the top. It's displaying my Lap 1 - 9.5 minutes. Not a bad time for a 944 at the Landenberg Nurburgring ...

Comments

Popular Posts