944 Racecar - Winter 2006

The web server holding my earliest postings into an uncaring universe quietly expired a while ago. Rather than replacing it, I'm posting the content so it will live on forever in the cloud, polluting my little corner of it. Enjoy.


Winter 2006 - Racing is on the Horizon

Okay, back into the shop. It's January and VIR is coming up in a month. Let's finish up some details for the new year.


Here's the fire system fully plumbed, charged and ready to go. That pink cord is connected to the safety pin which will be pulled at the track.




Another view of the fire system.



When I connected my Data Acquistion system's rpm input to the feed off the ignition coil, the signal was too noisy, resulting in the input being very erratic and useless for recording. On the recommendation of the G2Extreme folks, I put in a MSD tach driver unit to drive the DA system. Works great.




Okay, I've done a ton of stuff in the interior. Now it's time to take care of some exterior aesthetics. I have my own (some, like my wife, may say strange) vision of what my race cars should look like. So my cars' colors, decals, paint schemes change yearly. Some work, some don't. In the larger scheme of things, this is a silly sport, so why not play a little and have some fun?  This 944 has it's original paint and it's tired after 15 years. I spent lots of time in the shop, cleaning and polishing and all I got out of it was a less dull red car which beads water really well. So, Let's Play! Off to the paint booth. First, misc bits need to come off. Not everything, because this is going to be a 50/50 paint job (i.e. looking good at 50 feet or 50 mph)




The spoiler has had a hard life. This is the tedious part. Getting rid of all the crap - years of racer's tape holding it together. Cleaning all the gunk off so it can actually be re-glassed up.



While Brian and Scott have the car at the paint booth, its part 2 of my "Vision" -> purple wheels. Trust me, it'll look sweet!


Some shots from Scott at Vintage Motor Company ....


How's this for an interesting graphic look: Introducing: The Racing Leprosy Car



Fixing up the love-tap from the PCA Summit Race last fall.




Boy, that Brian's an artist with fiberglass. Some major work going into the spoiler. Now I can nerf people without Fear!






More spoiler fun. 
And now ... 
Into the Paint Booth

Comments

Popular Posts